Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The MizRiz Treks NOLA

  By: The MizRizSchyck herself  
     Every once in a while, I yell YOLO and head out on an unexpected trek.  After all, money is money is money, and we can't take it with us, so when friends sound the horn for a get together of classic proportions, I heed that call.

     This year, New Orleans was the haunt that my bestie, the MizRiz Nelson, and I crashed.  Now, NOLA typically has a nighttime party reputation, but what makes me the happiest are the daytime strolls through the city.  Stopping for a cafe au lait at Du Monde's, grabbing trays of crawfish at the French Market, and strolling through the artists set up around Jackson Square make me smile.  (Gerunds on the loose there for those of you students keeping track.) 

     On three sides of Jackson Square, amazing artists meet and greet and sometimes create art right there!  It is amazing.  On this trip, I met a man who used pens to draw mandalas (patterns designed to represent the universe) on bar napkins.  Not only are bar napkins tiny, they tear like crazy.  He. Was. Amazing.


     However, the best part of this city for me is the wandering - in and out of neighborhoods, down alleys, in and out of shops.  Nothing is better to me than hours of pretending there is a whole other life waiting for me in this town.  It is beautiful, mysterious, loud, raucous, and sometimes smells funny.  There are arbors that shadow hidden patios -            porches sheltered from the revelry below -
graffiti and trompe l'oeil - 

and doors.  I am in love with doors and gates and entrances.  Not only can they be any adjective imaginable, they are symbolic as to what is beyond.  It is my favorite time to daydream, to make up stories, to live another life other than the one I have been given.  What lies beyond?  When I open this door, or that door, what adventure awaits?  Where are you taking me?
    
 

      At this point in my treks, I don't care where you take me.  Let's just go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please remember that we are people too, so think kindly on us all!