Thursday, June 4, 2015

Biking the Doodle Trail

Greenways

Suwannee Greenway Trail in Atlanta
One of my favorite things to do is to go outside. As a child, I spent most of my free time outside. Nothing like it is today, back then kids stayed outside until dark no matter the weather. There was nothing to do inside but watch a black and white tv, play barbies, play a board game, or do chores. I am sure you understand, Outside ruled. It still does with me. The Greenways, formerly old public right-of-ways, abandoned railroad beds, old canals, and other such spaces, have been created to give safe transit spaces to bikers (non-motorized), joggers, and walkers to move freely and safely. There are new Greenway spaces opening up in every state now.
North Oconee Trail and Greenway System, Athens

Biking

Me with Raven in Dupont Forest, North Carolina
People who know me know that I enjoy biking--in the mountains, on the beach, and on roads. Biking is great exercise. I have ridden a street bike for 22 miles in one trip and the mountain bike (which is much more strenuous but so exciting) I have gone as many as 12 miles. I plan to bike until I can't. I have two bikes: my mountain bike named Kolanu which is Cherokee for "raven"  and my street bike named Gv-na which is Cherokee for "turkey." My mountain bike is about hunting in the woods for beautiful scenes, and the street bike is about speed and efficiency.  Many of my favorite memories have included a bike.

The Doodle Trail

The Doodle Trail is a greenway trail built from abandoned railways that used to serve the industrial plants in Easley and in Pickens, South Carolina. It just opened in May 2015. I rode this 7.5+ mile trail from Easley to Pickens and back again. It was exhausting, but I rode the entire trail with my husband who was urging me forward because the light was fading. It was dark before I finished. I love this trail and went back to take photos of it. On the sides are homes, some historic "mill hill" homes that used to be owned by the mills. There are lovely views of the distant hills and Glassy Mountain, our local mountain (equivalent to Mount Currahee in Toccoa). Here are some photos. 
Steve walking Laddie.

Mill Hill homes with falling hills in the distance.

Glassy Mountain


Split rail fencing along the trail

Crossing zones and stop signs at intersections
A view of the local church from the trail


The Future

Greenways are the future. We all benefit from them. They give us a safe place to exercise, a way to get from one city to another, a place to meet friendly neighbors, and a method to increase entrepreneurship with nearby small businesses. All communities should plan to include them and to create rights-of-way for these trails. Have you used any greenway trails recently? If so, what do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please remember that we are people too, so think kindly on us all!