Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Compare and Contrast


 3 waterfalls hiked 6/12/2013 near Walhalla, SC (Station Cove, Yellow Branch, and King Creek)

As Jenny and I set out to hike today, I was challenged by an article my principal shared that urged us to help students see the 'awe' in what we teach so that it will help them create meaning in their own lives.  It occurred to me as I read and reflected on that article that I am awed by nature, which is why I keep climbing mountains to see the view from the mountain summit and why I keep scrambling down muddy banks to experience the waterfall view from the base of the falls.  Is it hard work to hike 8 or 9 or 10 miles in a day?  Sure!  I also know that the work is worth the reward and that the work will be easier next time because I'm building stamina every time I hike.  I love being awed, and I'm newly challenged to bring awe into the learning lives of my students.

I've hiked 2 of the 3 waterfalls we hiked today before.  The pictures below are from a new waterfall discovered today near Oconee Station Historic Site.  Well...it's not newly discovered, but it's newly discovered by me!  It was about a mile in to see this amazing waterfall.   






These 4 pictures are from the same waterfall.  Those are icicles in one of them!  The rocks look completely different after as much rain as we've had recently.  It's easy to tell which season we hiked each one by looking closely at the trees....and of course the ice.










I love the contrast on this one, too.  This is King Creek Falls in summer and in winter.  Can you tell which is which?






No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please remember that we are people too, so think kindly on us all!