Friday, June 7, 2013

Perspective

Ms. Debban's Reflections from Waterfall Trekking in North Carolina

In art, we learn about different types of perspective; linear, one-point, two-point, ant's eye view, bird's eye view, etc.  Utilizing these different types of perspective helps artists alter the way they represent what they draw or create.  Perspective changes the meaning of your subject.  For example, the meaning of an artwork would completely change if you were to represent a forest from an ant's eye view or from a bird's eye view.  For the ant, the plants, rocks, and obstacles on the forrest floor would be the most important and biggest in the composition.  For the bird, the layout of the trees and holes in the foliage that provide safe hiding spots would be the most important and biggest parts of the composition.

This blog presents an awesome way to see the same adventure through different people's perspectives, or personal lenses. As we were all hiking the same trails together, we interpreted our experience through our own perspective.  In many cases, this interpretation took a literal form as we captured our memories through the lens of our camera phones. I decided to capture and share my perspective through a series of vertical panoramic photos that remind me where I'm standing, what I see, and what is above. One of my favorite parts of hiking is the terrain, leaping over muddy spots, standing in rocky creek beds, or carefully balancing across a stream on unstable rocks. Then, the waterfalls-- the way something that we take for granted can significantly alter the terrain is beautiful and powerful. Finally, the canopy of the trees above that provides a beautiful mosaic of shadow and protective shade. Below, you can see the series of panoramic photos.











The light in this last one is my favorite. It feels creamy and mysterious.

I also use my camera phone as a sketchbook: I can quickly record visual information in my camera's library that I can use for inspiration later.  Often when I am hiking, I am drawn to colors, textures, and patterns.  On this past journey, I recorded the colors and shapes of different mushrooms, rock patterns, and the colors of a fallen leaf. I use these photographs to help me arrange future compositions and discover nature-inspired color schemes. My poor hiking mates.... I stop every few minutes saying, "Oooooh! Look at the cool colors in this stump!" or "WOW! Look at these shelf mushrooms and how they're arranged growing up the tree!" (Reminded me of this classic Family Guy scene... ). I will post photos and any art that comes from them later!

Happy trekking!

2 comments:

  1. I think those panoramic shots are so cool. I want to live in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazes me is that we saw the very same thing in such different ways! It opens my mind and eyes to seeing things in a while new way next time I venture out...thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please remember that we are people too, so think kindly on us all!