Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What I Hate about the Trail

Well, there are many things that I hate about hiking, including but not limited to the following: One, I really really really hate bugs. Bugs get in my eyes, my mouth, and my throat. Just today, I choked on a bug, and no amount of coughing or hacking would make it come out. Two, I don't like green things. Green things on the trail make me think of poison oak, ivy, and/or sumac, which I was extremely allergic to as a kid. One time I got this poison ivy patch on the upper part of my chest that looked like a claw, and people at church thought I might have been possessed. So of course, I think of this and shutter at the thought of getting it... again. Three, I absolutely hate hate hate double hate loath entirely snakes. Today, I was walking along and out of no where, this snake jumps up. I let out a scream, turned around, and began heading the other direction. Knowing that I must face my fear, I looked at Andrea for some reassurance, and then turned back around to cautiously pass the snake. Phew that was a close one! (For more details on the snake incident, look for my post titled, "My Ally McBeal Moment.") Four, I hate humidity. Humidity makes what should be an easy hike difficult or at least moderately difficult. It also increases ones propensity to sweat, which I don't like either. And finally, five, what I hate most about hiking is that every trek has to come to an end. Hiking, while it clearly has its downside, is one of the few methods that God uses in my life to give me peace, strength, and restoration. Nature has a way of removing life's stresses and helps me to focus on the here and now. I am fully present to enjoy each moment, to breath in the fresh air, and to acknowledge God and who He is. Pushing through to the end, whether it is a waterfall, a mountain summit or just a long hike leaves me with a sense of accomplishment and power, like I have conquered some great feat, even if the battle was only against myself.

1 comment:

  1. Really pretty powerful stuff seeing as you continue to bust out into nature despite all the hates.

    And possession by plants sounds like a fabulous sci-fi flick!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please remember that we are people too, so think kindly on us all!